Changing the Listening Port
Need to change the port which Terminal Services listens on? To change your system’s listening port, just follow these 5 steps:
- First, run REGEDIT on your server.
- Now, export the following key:
- Edit the REG file and change the name of the key to something like:
- Next, in the REG file find the PortNumber and change it to whatever port you want.
- Import the REG file back into the registry.
You can now connect to the new port using the “old” Windows 2000 Terminal Server client. Alternatively, a better option is to use the XP RDP 5.1 or the newer Windows Server 2003 RDP 5.2 client.
Altering the Port on the Client Side
To the alter the port from the client’s side, just follow these 5 steps:
- First, go to the Start menu and click on Run.
- On the Run menu, type “MSTSC” and click Enter.
*Note: To use RDP on computers with operating systems other than Windows XP/2003, you will first need to install the RDP client.
- Next, in the RDP window, in the Computer box, scroll to the computer name or IP which you wish to connect to.
- Add a “:Port” (without the quotes) where “Port” is the decimal value of the destination port.
- Once you’ve made your selection, press Connect.
Another method of connecting to a different port other than the default, is to run the MSTSC command with the required command line parameters:
*For example: MSTSC /v:22.214.171.124:3390
Looking for more information on Windows? Search our Knowledge Base!
Interested in more articles about Operating Systems? Navigate to our Categories page using the bar on the left or check out these popular articles:
- How to Check the Apache Version on a Linux Dedicated cPanel Server
- How to Change a Password in Linux
- How to Check if Your Linux Server is Under DDoS Attack
Popular tags within this category include: Linux, Windows, Apache, CentOS, Debian, Fedora, RedHat, and more.
Don’t see what you’re looking for? Use the search bar at the top to search our entire Knowledge Base.
The Hivelocity Difference
Seeking a better Dedicated Server solution? In the market for Private Cloud or Colocation services? Check out Hivelocity’s extensive list of products for great deals and offers.
With best-in-class customer service, affordable pricing, a wide-range of fully-customizable options, and a network like no other, Hivelocity is the hosting solution you’ve been waiting for.
Unsure which of our services is best for your particular needs? Call or live chat with one of our sales agents today and see the difference Hivelocity can make for you.