With the latest release of cPanel, an excellent new feature has been added allowing users to easily convert an addon domain into a primary domain. If you need information on domain conversion, then this guide is for you.
*NOTE: this method requires the user to have root access to the WHM account associated with their cPanel account. If you do not have access to WHM, you may need to contact your hosting provider for more information on how to make this change.
Converting an Addon Domain to a Primary Domain
By following these 10 easy steps, you can convert any addon domain into a primary domain in no time at all:
- First, log in to WHM with root user.
- Once logged in, on the left side panel, search for the Transfers option and click on Convert Addon Domain to Account.
- On the right side, you will now see a list of addon domains hosted on your server. Using the search/filter window, you can search for the specific addon domain you want to convert to a primary domain.
- Once you’ve located the addon domain you want to convert, select it, and then click Convert.
- On the next screen, enter the contact email for the new account and select the package you want to assign for this new account. Normally, you can leave the option to Preserve Account Ownership as is.
- Scroll down the page until you see the Selection details option for the addon domain. By default, the conversion process will select all the data, DNS records, emails, databases, subaccounts, and FTP accounts and will copy them into the primary account. If you’d like to customize the data selected, you can do so by clicking on the Configure button.
- Once you’re ready, scroll down the page and click the Start Conversion button.
- On the next screen, you’ll see that the conversion is being processed. The time required will depend on the volume of Email accounts, FTP Accounts, Sub domains, and other data being converted.
- Once the conversion process has finished, you can click on the Details button to view complete information regarding the conversion process.
- To verify the conversion was done successfully, on the left side menu click on List Accounts. If your addon domain has converted successfully, you’ll see the new primary domain account listed here.
And there you have it!
Looking for more information on cPanel? Search our Knowledge Base!
Interested in more articles about Control Panels? Navigate to our Categories page using the bar on the left or check out these popular articles:
- How to Fix Invalid cPanel License Error When the IP is In Fact Licensed
- How to Increase PHP Upload Limit on a cPanel Server
- How to Add a Subdomain in Plesk 12
Popular tags within this category include: cPanel, WHM, Plesk, DirectAdmin, and more.
Don’t see what you’re looking for? Use the search bar at the top to search our entire Knowledge Base.
The Hivelocity Difference
Seeking a better Dedicated Server solution? In the market for Private Cloud or Colocation services? Check out Hivelocity’s extensive list of products for great deals and offers.
With best-in-class customer service, affordable pricing, a wide-range of fully-customizable options, and a network like no other, Hivelocity is the hosting solution you’ve been waiting for.
Unsure which of our services is best for your particular needs? Call or live chat with one of our sales agents today and see the difference Hivelocity can make for you.