With the latest release of cPanel, an excellent new feature has been added allowing users to easily convert an addon domain into a primary domain. If you need information on domain conversion, then this guide is for you.
*NOTE: this method requires the user to have root access to the WHM account associated with their cPanel account. If you do not have access to WHM, you may need to contact your hosting provider for more information on how to make this change.
Converting an Addon Domain to a Primary Domain
By following these 10 easy steps, you can convert any addon domain into a primary domain in no time at all:
- First, log in to WHM with root user.
- Once logged in, on the left side panel, search for the Transfers option and click on Convert Addon Domain to Account.
- On the right side, you will now see a list of addon domains hosted on your server. Using the search/filter window, you can search for the specific addon domain you want to convert to a primary domain.
- Once you’ve located the addon domain you want to convert, select it, and then click Convert.
- On the next screen, enter the contact email for the new account and select the package you want to assign for this new account. Normally, you can leave the option to Preserve Account Ownership as is.
- Scroll down the page until you see the Selection details option for the addon domain. By default, the conversion process will select all the data, DNS records, emails, databases, subaccounts, and FTP accounts and will copy them into the primary account. If you’d like to customize the data selected, you can do so by clicking on the Configure button.
- Once you’re ready, scroll down the page and click the Start Conversion button.
- On the next screen, you’ll see that the conversion is being processed. The time required will depend on the volume of Email accounts, FTP Accounts, Sub domains, and other data being converted.
- Once the conversion process has finished, you can click on the Details button to view complete information regarding the conversion process.
- To verify the conversion was done successfully, on the left side menu click on List Accounts. If your addon domain has converted successfully, you’ll see the new primary domain account listed here.
And there you have it!
Need More Personalized Help?
If you have any further issues, questions, or would like some assistance checking on this or anything else, please reach out to us from your my.hivelocity.net account -> Support and provide your server credentials within the encrypted field for the best possible security and support.
If you are unable to reach your my.hivelocity.net account or if you are on the go, please reach out from your valid my.hivelocity.net account email to us here at: firstname.lastname@example.org. We are also available to you through our phone and live chat system 24/7/365.