If your MySQL connection is failing and returning the message ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can’t connect to local MySQL server through socket, then chances are your MySql.sock file is missing or has been deleted.
By following these steps, you’ll be able to diagnose and determine which actions must be taken to get your MySql.sock file back in working order.
Locating a Missing MySql.sock File
To locate a missing mysql.sock file, use the following procedure:
- THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP! Back up the /var/lib/mysql directory using the following command
# cp -fr /var/lib/mysql /var/lib/mysql.old
- Next, check /var/lib/mysql and /tmp for the .sock file (is it in both places?)
- Use this command to recreate the symbolic link to the .sock file:
# ln -s /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock /tmp/mysql.sock
- Now check the permissions of the /var/lib/mysql. It should be 0755 and mysql:root. If not:
# chmod 0755 /var/lib/mysql
# chown mysql:root /var/lib/mysql
- cat /etc/passwd to make sure that the mysql user is there.
- Does /var/lib/mysql/mysql/host.MYI exist? If not then:
# chmod -R 0660 /var/lib/mysql/mysql
# chown -R mysql:mysql /var/lib/mysql/mysql
- Now try to force an update:
# /scripts/mysqlup --force// for cPanel servers only
- If all else fails, then you may have a corrupted table. Now before you do this, TRIPLE CHECK that you have backed up the /var/lib/mysql directory. It fact, check it 4 times!
# rm -fr /var/lib/mysql
# rm -f /usr/sbin/mysqld
Then force another update:
# /scripts/mysqlup --force
- Now if all if this did not help, then try:
# /usr/sbin/mysqld --basedir=/ --datadir=/var/lib/mysql --user=mysql --pid-file=/var/lib/mysql/Server_HostName.pid --skip-locking &
- View the Contents of a Table in a SQL Server Database Using Enterprise Manager
- Create a MySQL Backup from Command Line – MySQL Import SQL File
- How to Install SQL Server 2012 Express on Windows Server 2012
Don’t see what you’re looking for? Use the search bar at the top to search our entire Knowledge Base.
The Hivelocity Difference
With best-in-class customer service, affordable pricing, a wide-range of fully-customizable options, and a network like no other, Hivelocity is the hosting solution you’ve been waiting for.