How to Reset the MySQL Root Password.
Need to reset your root password in MySQL? By following this guide, you’ll learn how to reset the MySQL root password on your Windows server in just five easy steps.
Lets get started.
- The first thing you’ll need to do is stop the MySQL server if it is running. For a server running as a Windows service, you’ll need to go to the Services manager to do this:
Start Menu -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services
- Once you’ve located the Services manager, you’ll need to find the MySQL service in the list, and stop it.
*Note: If your MySQL server is not running as a service, you may need to use the Task Manager to force it to stop.
- After stopping your MySQL server, the next step is to create a text file and place the following command within it on a single line:
SET PASSWORD FOR 'root'@'localhost' = PASSWORD('MyNewPassword');
Save the file with any name. For this example the file will be C:\mysql-init.txt.
- After creating and saving your text file, you’ll need to open a console window to get to the DOS command prompt:
Start Menu -> Run -> cmd
*Note: We are assuming that you installed MySQL to C:\mysql. If you installed MySQL to another location, adjust the following commands accordingly.
- Lastly, at the DOS command prompt, execute this command:
C:\> C:\mysql\bin\mysqld-nt --init-file=C:\mysql-init.txt
*Note: This command must be adjusted to match the location of your MySQL folder as well as the name of your saved text.
And there you have it!
Need More Personalized Help?
If you have any further issues, questions, or would like some assistance checking on this or anything else, please reach out to us from your my.hivelocity.net account -> Support and provide your server credentials within the encrypted field for the best possible security and support.
If you are unable to reach your my.hivelocity.net account or if you are on the go, please reach out from your valid my.hivelocity.net account email to us here: email@example.com. We are also available to you through our phone and live chat system 24/7/365.