- Login to your Ubuntu server with root user with your favorite SSH client
- Let’s first update the operating system with all the latest packages with the command
sudo apt-get update
- Let’s install ProFTPD FTP service with the command
apt-get -y install proftpd
- On the ProFTPD configuration screen , select the installation as “Standalone” then press TAB to move cursor to OK button and hit Enter.
- Wait for the installation and configuration process to be done.
- In order to configure the ProFTPD service edit the proftpd.conf file located at “/etc/proftpd/proftpd.conf ”with your favorite editor.
- In the configuration change the server name with the actual “hostname ” of the server.
- In order to restrict the users to their home directories uncomment the line ( remove the # sign ) that says “Default root”
- Save the configuration file with the command Ctrl + o hit enter and Ctrol + x .
- Restart the ProFTPD service with the command and you are done.
service proftpd restart