To install ProFTPD on your Ubuntu 14.04 LTS server, just follow these steps:
- First, log in to your Ubuntu server as the root user using your favorite SSH client.
- Next, you’ll want to make sure your operating system is up-to-date. Use the following command to install all the latest packages:
sudo apt-get update
- Now that your system is up-to-date, you can install ProFTPD FTP services using the command:
apt-get -y install proftpd
- On the ProFTPD configuration screen, select the installation as Standalone then press TAB to move your cursor to the OK button and hit Enter to confirm.
- The installation and configuration process may take a few minutes.
- Once the installation has finished, you can configure the ProFTPD service by editing the proftpd.conf file located at /etc/proftpd/proftpd.conf with your favorite editor.
- Within the configuration file, change the server name replacing it with the actual hostname of your server.
- In order to restrict users to their home directories, uncomment (remove the # sign from) the line that says Default root.
- After making your changes, save the configuration file with the command Ctrl + o, hit Enter, and then Ctrl + x.
- Lastly, you’ll need to restart the ProFTPD service with the following command:
service proftpd restart
And there you have it!
Need More Personalized Help?
If you have any further issues, questions, or would like some assistance checking on this or anything else, please reach out to us from your my.hivelocity.net account -> Support and provide your server credentials within the encrypted field for the best possible security and support.
If you are unable to reach your my.hivelocity.net account or if you are on the go, please reach out from your valid my.hivelocity.net account email to us here at: email@example.com. We are also available to you through our phone and live chat system 24/7/365.