What is RDP?
RDP, or Microsoft Remote Desktop Protocol Client is a windows-based software that allows connection to a terminal-server either via a local LAN connection or through remote connection via the internet.
The following procedure details the steps necessary to install RDP.
Step One – Downloading RDP client to your PC
Before you can install RDP, you’ll need to download it onto your local computer. Follow these steps:
- First connect to the Internet
- Then follow this link to connect to the Microsoft RDP web page:
- When the file download window appears – click on the Save button, browse to the desktop then click the save button again.
- The RDP client will start to download and should take approx. 10 minutes on a 56K modem connection.
Step Two – Installing RDP Client
To install the RDP client:
- Open Explorer (Right click on the Start menu and select Explore).
- Browse to the Desktop and then double click on the icon titled msrdpcli.exe
- Click the following buttons:
Next -> I Accept the terms…… -> Next -> Next -> Install -> Finish
Step Three – Load the Terminal Server Address
To load the terminal server address:
- Contact your Systems administrator and get the address of your terminal server. You will be issued with two addresses; one is the LAN address used to connect within your building. The second is the Internet address for connection via the Internet from any outside location.
- Start RDP. To do so, go to the Start menu -> Programs -> Accessories -> Communications -> Remote Desktop
- Once RDP has started, enter the appropriate address to the RDP Client address field, to the right of the word Computer.
Step Four – Connect to the Terminal Server
Lastly, you’ll need to connect to the terminal server. To do so:
- Connect to the Internet.
- Start RDP client as above
- Ensure that you have the correct address loaded to the right of the word Computer
- Click on connect
After a brief delay you should get a Windows login box. After logging in to the Terminal Server, you’re free to start working!
Need More Personalized Help?
If you have any further issues, questions, or would like some assistance checking on this or anything else, please reach out to us from your my.hivelocity.net account -> Support and provide your server credentials within the encrypted field for the best possible security and support.
If you are unable to reach your my.hivelocity.net account or if you are on the go, please reach out from your valid my.hivelocity.net account email to us here: firstname.lastname@example.org. We are also available to you through our phone and live chat system 24/7/365.