Converting Basic disks to Dynamic disks don’t require reboots – however any volumes contained on them after the conversion will generate a popup that basically says a re-boot is necessary before the volumes can be used. I generally say – NO, do not reboot – until all the volumes are identified and all the popups go away, then perform a single re-boot.
Windows 2000 introduces the idea of a dynamic disk needed for fault tolerant configurations. To convert perform the following:
- Start Computer Manager
- Expand Storage – Disk Management.
- Right click on the disk and select ‘Upgrade to Dynamic Disk’
- Select the disks to upgrade and click OK
- A summary will be displayed.
- Click Upgrade
- Click Yes to the confirmation