To change which port ssh listens on, you just need to edit the sshd_config file. The default directory for ssh configuration is /etc/ssh.
- First, backup the current configuration and use your favorite editor to change the Port line:
root@root [~]# cd /etc/ssh/
root@root [/etc/ssh]# cp sshd_config sshd_config.save
root@root [/etc/ssh]# vi sshd_config
- Now, locate the following line:
- For this example, we’ll set it to port 4000, by replacing “Port 22” with “Port 4000“. *Note: Do not forget to remove the comment (#).
root@root [/etc/ssh]# diff sshd_config sshd_config.save
< Port 4000
> #Port 22
- Lastly, restart sshd and verify that it is now listening on the new port.
root@root [/etc/ssh]# /etc/init.d/sshd restart
Stopping sshd: [ OK ]
Starting sshd: [ OK ]
root@root [/etc/ssh]# netstat -anp | grep sshd
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:4000 0.0.0.0:*
And there you have it! You can set the port number to whichever port you prefer, but keep in ming that port numbers between 0 and 1,023 are reserved for existing system services. For this reason, you’re typically better off choosing a number above Port 1023.
Looking for more information on SSH? Search our Knowledge Base!
Interested in more articles about Web Hosting? Navigate to our Categories page using the bar on the left or check out these popular articles:
- DNS Configuration: Everything You Need to Know
- What is Cron Job?
- How to Resolve Error 421 Service Not Available and Other Issues with FTP Service
Popular tags within this category include: DNS, FTP, IIS, MX Records, and more.
Don’t see what you’re looking for? Use the search bar at the top to search our entire Knowledge Base.
The Hivelocity Difference
Seeking a better Dedicated Server solution? In the market for Private Cloud or Colocation services? Check out Hivelocity’s extensive list of products for great deals and offers.
With best-in-class customer service, affordable pricing, a wide-range of fully-customizable options, and a network like no other, Hivelocity is the hosting solution you’ve been waiting for.
Unsure which of our services is best for your particular needs? Call or live chat with one of our sales agents today and see the difference Hivelocity can make for you.