If you’re a Windows user, restricting Remote Desktop (RDP) access to your Windows Server when not using a VPN is a crucial step in ensuring server security. Thankfully, the process for restricting RDP access is pretty easy to do.
How to Restrict Remote Desktop Access
To limit RDP access to your server, simply follow the instructions below:
- First, open the Windows Server control panel.
- Next, navigate to System and Security.
- Now, click on Windows Defender Firewall to open the Firewall configuration.
- Next, click on Advanced Settings, and then Inbound Rules.
- Find the rule Remote Desktop – User Mode (TCP-In), then right click on it, and select Properties.
- On the Scope tab, press the Add button under the Remote IP addresses section.
- Finally, to restrict access, add your IP address or an IP address range. If you do not know your IP address you can view it here:
*Note: Be sure to add other IP addresses such as your developer or systems administrator as needed.
- When you’ve finished, click the OK button to finalize your changes.
Looking for more information on RDP? Search our Knowledge Base!
Interested in more articles about Web Hosting? Navigate to our Categories page using the bar on the left or check out these popular articles:
- DNS Configuration: Everything You Need to Know
- What is Cron Job?
- How to Resolve Error 421 Service Not Available and Other Issues with FTP Service
Popular tags within this category include: DNS, FTP, IIS, MX Records, and more.
Don’t see what you’re looking for? Use the search bar at the top to search our entire Knowledge Base.
The Hivelocity Difference
Seeking a better Dedicated Server solution? In the market for Private Cloud or Colocation services? Check out Hivelocity’s extensive list of products for great deals and offers.
With best-in-class customer service, affordable pricing, a wide-range of fully-customizable options, and a network like no other, Hivelocity is the hosting solution you’ve been waiting for.
Unsure which of our services is best for your particular needs? Call or live chat with one of our sales agents today and see the difference Hivelocity can make for you.