Troubleshooting Error 553
Error 553 is an email error that is usually caused by a lack of SMTP authentication. When trying to send an email through your local email client, if SMTP has not been authenticated, you might receive a message that looks like this:
The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was ‘firstname.lastname@example.org’. Subject ‘test’, Account: ‘mail.hivelocity.net’, Server: ‘mail.hivelocity.net’, Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: ‘553 sorry, that domain isn’t allowed to be relayed thru this MTA (#5.7.1)’, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 553, Error Number: 0x800CCC79
Many mail servers, including our own mail servers, require SMTP authentication to properly relay emails. To fix this, you just need to enable it.
Start by opening the properties on your local email client. If you’re using Outlook, you can follow these steps to enable SMTP authentication:
- From the “Tools” menu, select “Account Settings”
- After selecting your email account from the list, click the “Change” button, and insert your server’s name into the form field marked “Outgoing mail server (SMTP)”.
- Click on “More Settings…” and select the “Outgoing Server” tab on the new window that opens.
- At the top of the Outgoing Server tab, check the box labelled “My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication” and make sure “Use same settings as my incoming mail server” is selected.
- When you’re finished, click “OK” and close out of the Account Settings window.
Once you’re SMTP authentication is set, you should now be able to send emails without receiving the Error 553 message. If you need further instructions on setting up SMTP in Outlook, check the official Outlook 2016 Documentation.
Looking for more information on SMTP? Search our Knowledge Base!
Interested in more articles about Email? Navigate to our Categories page using the bar on the left or check out these popular articles:
- How to Start and Stop the SMTP Service in Windows
- How to Install Zimbra 8 on CentOS 6
- How to Change SMTP Server IP (Exim IP) on WHM Server
Popular tags within this category include: SMTP, Outlook, Exim, Webmail, and more.
Don’t see what you’re looking for? Use the search bar at the top to search our entire Knowledge Base.
The Hivelocity Difference
Seeking a better Dedicated Server solution? In the market for Private Cloud or Colocation services? Check out Hivelocity’s extensive list of products for great deals and offers.
With best-in-class customer service, affordable pricing, a wide-range of fully-customizable options, and a network like no other, Hivelocity is the hosting solution you’ve been waiting for.
Unsure which of our services is best for your particular needs? Call or live chat with one of our sales agents today and see the difference Hivelocity can make for you.