The Urchin data directory is a subdirectory of the root Urchin program directory by default. This location can easily be changed by editing the ~urchin/etc/urchin.conf file and manually moving the existing ~urchin/data directory to the desired location. It should be noted that this may break the existing license, in which case, you will need to contact support and request that your serial number is reset.
Procedure for moving data directory:
The location of where Urchin stores its report data can be changed in the urchin.conf file, which is located in the etc directory of the main Urchin installation directory.
For UNIX-type systems:
- Open a command shell as the user that Urchin was installed as
- cd to the directory where Urchin is installed
- Stop the Urchin services with the command: bin/urchinctl stop
- Using a text editor, open the urchin.conf file in the etc directory of the Urchin distribution
- Uncomment the following line by removing the leading ‘#’ character:#dataDirectory: ./data/
and substitute the full directory path you want to use instead of the default directory, e.g.
- If necessary, create the new data directory. Important note: this directory must be readable and writable by the user Urchin runs as.
- Copy the existing data to the new location. To ensure that all permissions and data are properly preserved, it is recommended that you use the following command:cd data; tar cf – . | (cd /bigdisk/urchin/data; tar xpf -)
- Rename the data directory to data.old. You can remove it completely if you wish, but you may want to ensure that everything is working properly before doing this.
- chown -R urchin_user:urchin_group /bigdisk/urchin/data
- For ease of administration, you may want to create a symlink in the main Urchin directory pointing at this new location, e.g.ln -s /bigdisk/urchin/data ./data
- Restart the Urchin services with the command: bin/urchinctl start
- Log in to Urchin as the admin user. You should be presented with the License Urchin screen. Simply click on the Reactivate License link and you are finished.