When you try to send mail using the CDONTS.NewMail object from the SMTP service included in the Windows NT Option Pack (NTOP) and Active Server Pages (ASP), you may receive the following error message:
Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a0046' Permission denied
/filename.asp, line xxx
where xxx is the line number using the send method of the NewMail object.
This behavior can occur if the anonymous user account is not granted at least CHANGE permissions to the SMTP mail server folders.
To resolve this error, follow these
1. Open the Windows NT Explorer and browse to your mail folders. By default, this is the X:\InetPub\MailRoot folder, where X: is the drive that you specified during the installation of NTOP.
2. Right-click the Pickup folder, and then click Properties.
3. On the Security tab, click Permissions.
4. If the IIS user accounts are listed, IUSR_<computer> and IWAM_<computer> are the defaults, skip to step 13.
5. Click Add.
6. Select your computer in the List Names From: drop-down menu.
7. Click Show Users.
8. Highlight the IUSR_<computer> Internet guest account and the IWAM_<computer> impersonation account, then click Add.
9. Click Change in the Type Of Access drop-down menu.
10. Click OK to close the Add Users And Groups dialog.
11. Click OK to close the Directory Permissions dialog.
12. Click OK to close the Directory Properties dialog.
13. Repeat steps 2 through 12 for each folder under the MailRoot folder.